Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

When I was a kid my mom had a tiny garden but still managed to grow several kinds of fruits and vegetables. That's where I learned to hate zucchini. They grew like weeds. We had them with every meal in the summertime and I hated it. She also had squash, my second most-hated vegetable. Ever since, I have been avoiding them, even though they might give a nice respite from  the monotony of green beans and broccoli. I recently had some butternut squash soup for the first time at a pot luck. I was reluctant at first, but with everyone else raving, I couldn't resist. It was delicious. (Thanks Brigid!) So I was inspired to try it for myself. I was surprised again, especially after seeing the ingredients (basically pureed squash and onion with vegetable or chicken broth/stock). I was sure it would taste horrible, but no! How did I ever become so traumatized as a child?


It smelled like sweetened pumpkin when I cut it. I almost wanted to lick it. Okay...I did lick it.

I cut the squash into 1" chunks and simmered them with a teaspoon of minced garlic and a chopped onion that had already been sauteed with a tablespoon of butter (or Canola oil for a healthier option). I used about 6 cups of chicken broth (again, vegetable broth would be a healthier and vegetarian option). Then I used a slatted spoon to take out all of the onion and squash chunks and puree them in my blender. Then I added the puree back to the stock and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and a dash of nutmeg. I used parsley just for dimension in the picture. I wanted to use a swirl of yogurt, like my cookbook shows, but mine was about a month expired. Hmmm...no thanks.


I ate it for 3 meals this week (although not consecutively) and didn't feel guilty at all. Low calories, and now I know I could eat for a whole day on just one butternut squash. Talk about a small carbon footprint! 

I'm looking forward to trying many more new things in 2011. I hope you enjoyed your holidays. Thanks for reading my thoughts about food!

1 comment:

  1. I make a butternut squash soup and include roasted carrots (I actually roast my squash too) and some canned pumpkin as well and a dash of red pepper to make it a bit spicy.

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!