Saturday, February 19, 2011

Penne With Non-Vodka Sauce

A couple of weeks ago I made Penne with Vodka Sauce, but I didn't have any vodka. I was so certain that we did have vodka, that I didn't even think to check. No Vodka? ....Really? As I was choosing between substituting gin or tequila (I was sure gin would do the trick...), Greg suggested that we actually look up substitutes online. Surprisingly, there are many substitutes, gin not being one of them.  Water was one substitute (no way), or I could just omit the ingredient (that's no fun), or I could use red wine (um, yes please). Of course I always have cooking wine handy, so that was no problemo. This meal was so delightful that I made it again last week. I didn't want to mess up the the good thing I had going, so I used the red wine again. Great decision. Sorry vodka, you've been replaced.





Make your own no-vodka sauce:

Ingredients- 
1 Onion
3 tbsp Cooking oil
1 tsp. Minced garlic
28 oz. Can of plum tomatoes
12 Basil leaves
1/4 tsp. Red pepper flakes
1/2 cup Cream
1/3 cup Red cooking wine

Instructions:
Heat 3 tablespoons of oil. Add 1/2 of a diced onion and cook until translucent. Add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic. Chop up the plum tomatoes after draining the can, then add to the skillet. Add the red wine and red pepper flakes. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Then add the cream. At the end, add the chopped basil. Mix well.The sauce should be a pinkish-orange.Toss the sauce with just cooked penne pasta. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!