Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Shrimp: My Summer Obsession



 Shrimp is my new go-to dinner option this summer. It is light, versatile, and healthy, not to mention yumtastic! Whole Foods changed my mind about seafood altogether. We were getting it from Safeway, which was okay, but the seafood we've been getting recently tastes so much fresher. The shrimp comes already shelled and de-veined, which saves time and a smelly trash can.  They have it responsibly farm-raised or wild caught, although it can be a bit pricey. We just get about 10 of the farm-raised, which is plenty without wasting leftovers. The wild caught can be up to $18 / lb! Yikes!



This dish is made up of cooked penne pasta, steamed asparagus tips, and diced tomatoes. I used white wine, lemon, pepper, garlic, and butter to saute it all together.


For this dish I made a carbonara sauce and just tossed in steamed broccoli, shrimp, and linguine.

I think my next summer-style dish will be grilled Cajun shrimp with sweet corn on the cob and a big hunk of watermelon. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

 Do you have any other suggestions for irresistible summer meals?

1 comment:

  1. For Christmas, I gave Richard the cookbook Dishing Up Maryland by Lucie Snodgrass. The author went to farms of all types and fine restaurants and inns across Maryland and collected recipes, along with the stories of how our local food is produced. One of the most interesting stories is about the Marvesta Shrimp Farms in Hurlock, Dorchester County. Three guys developed a way to farm shrimp without all of the chemicals, steroids, and environmental damage of most ocean based shrimp farms. Turns out their shrimp are incredibly sweet and in high demand by gourmet restaurants.

    ReplyDelete

I've told you my thoughts, now I'd love to hear yours!